Re: Being poor and needing affordable housing
From: Marganne Meyer (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:27:03 -0800 (PST)
Absolutely, Cindy. Disability isn't planned. It changes your financial status drastically to something you never considered before. And it gives you a lot of time to think about it.

I'm facing similar conditions. I'm left with several invisible disabilities that hit me when I was 44 years old. Was in the prime of my earning years. Within a year (and 2 surgeries later) I'd spent all my 401k on living expenses and COBRA insurance before my SSDI was approved.

Now I live in a very nice studio condo within a home owners association. I am renting - less than $700 a month, plus utilities. Guidelines say I'm paying a larger portion of my income for my rent than is prudent. I know I have a great deal when considering the lack of low-income housing and prevailing rental prices. I'd rather put my rent into equity.

Current cohousing is far beyond my means. Eldercare is out of sight. Besides, I'm too young! LOL Much of the subsidized housing discussed here requires that a person have regular (non-fixed) income before they can qualify for a loan.

I'd like to find/create community that includes all sorts of people, but especially people who might be like us. We are a growing population. We're often single baby boomers living on a fixed income without the ability to generate additional income -- not prime candidates to qualify for a mortgage or loan.

There is strength in numbers. I don't want to be renting for the remainder of my long life. I want to live in community where I can give as well as receive support.

I've belonged to this list for a long time -- joined before I became disabled. Don't believe I've fully disclosed my particular circumstances before now. I'm sensitive to being pigeonholed into a convenient segment of society that often is overlooked. I hope these circumstances can be accepted by the people who belong to this list.

I have much to contribute to a community living arrangement. Because of modern medical improvements, there are many more people like you and me who will be around for a long time.

Cheers!
Marganne