Re: CohoUS support for affordable cohousing and forming communities - Soon!
From: Marganne Meyer (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:17:29 -0800 (PST)
THANK YOU VERY MUCH CohoUS (and Grace Kim AIA) for bringing this to the list's attention. Yes, this is an overwhelming task. For an organized group to take a stab at bringing together information on this topic and potentially lobbying in D.C. makes me hope someday there will be easier avenues for low-income people to live in cohousing.

I hope this effort will try to go beyond the HUD definitions to include people on fixed incomes. That's assuming I've properly understood HUD's definition. Also assuming that, after your research, viable solutions will become obvious.

CohoUS activities for 2010/2011:
The national Cohousing association is working on 2 initiatives (among
many others) that may open some more doors in this arena.

When did the CohoUS board of directors decide to form this task force and define an approximate time line for the work to be done? How did CohoUS decided that affordable/low cost (use your term here) housing was one of its priorities?

Thank you for letting us know. I look forward to learning more about this project.

Cheers!
Marganne

I'm writing unofficially as a board member of the Cohousing Association
of the US (aka CohoUS) and as an informed advocate/architect of
"affordable housing" - I'm using this in the HUD defined context more
commonly known by the average person as "low income housing".

I've been waiting to wade into the discussion, until I had things in
order.  But I think this is a great time to provide some resources for
use/consideration now and to offer some insights into activity that
CohoUS is planning to undertake in the upcoming 2 years that may
alleviate some of the barriers for participation in cohousing (either as
renter or owner).