2 articles/reports about community living
From: Marganne Meyer (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:22:52 -0800 (PST)
For those of you interested in community living for the 50+ set, here's another way some people are trying to create community and keep housing costs low. From NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/11/realestate/11wczo.html?_r=1

"virtual villages" in which older people stay in their own homes with help from a grass-roots support network.

http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/il/2008_02_communities.pdf

There's another interesting report from AARP about opportunities for creating livable, sustainable communities. The report identifies potential barriers to realizing liveable community objectives in housing, supportive community features and mobility options, then presents examples of communities throughout the U.S. that have successfully implemented measures to overcome barriers, become more liveable, and improve quality of life for residents of all ages and abilities.

This paragraph popped out at me as I skimmed the report: ... a community's capacity to provide affordable and accessible housing, transportation, and other services to specifically meet older people's needs depends to a large degree on its land use and zoning policies as well as its permitting and regulatory processes.

Land use and zoning policies? Gee, sound familiar? LOL