Re: Meal Participation Program
From: lienjud (lienjudaol.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 22:46:15 -0800 (PST)

 Dear Eta:
our approach at Cascadia Commons has evolved over time and we are always open
to changing if need be. First,  I would suggest doing a survey to see what the
barriers to participation are and what it would take for people to come back.
In our community we saw how hard it was for parents with small children to
participate and said that only one parent needed to work, we also do medical
exemptions for people unable to work.
Currently, we have meals twice a week and about 2/3 of the community
participates. There is only participation level. We need 6 work credits for a
rotation and can eat as many times as we wish. lead cook counts for 2 credits
and she plans the menu, shops and cooks. asst cook and cleaning counts for one
credit. our team consists of 2 cooks and 2 cleaners. Our meal club planner
looks at # of participants and then designs the length of rotation. we have a
calendar up and sign up to cook and clean. At the end of the rotation, I look
at # of meals eaten and $ spent by cooks for meals and figure out what we owe
people or they owe us. Our meals usually have from 10 to 25 people there.
Sunday night is very popular and the attendance greatest. for people who get
home late, they can ask for a save plate. In the summer with many people away,
we do potlucks on the midweek meal. Budget per meal if $ 4.75 to 5.50 and we
charge $5.25 to 6.00 that includes 50 cents for pantry supplies. we have one
person who handles the pantry, organizing, ordering etc and we get our supplies
from Azure Standards. That is all I can think of. hope this helps. please write
if you have more questions.

Judith Lienhard