Re: Board Games that teach consensus/cooperation
From: Joanie Connors (jvcphdgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:10:06 -0800 (PST)
Hi JoLynn,

I sent your message to some peace studies people, and got this back
from a friend -

From:  <barbarawien [at] verizon.net>
Date: Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:44 AM
Subject: peaceful board games to teach consensus/cooperation

Oh my gosh!  There are thousands of cooperative games.  How can I
share them all?  Where should I begin!?  The best adult games come out
of Latin America, The Freire Institutes, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, London,
Germany, the Quakers, the VIPP method (UNICEF's Visualization in
Participatory Planning), the Movement for a New Society and New
Society Publishers, the human relations field, the Participative
Design for Participative Democracy, participatory action adult
education methods and so much more.

There is an professional international society devoted to cooperative,
democratic games and training methods.  I think it is based in
Vermont.   What about EVERYBODY WINS!: 150 Non-Competitive Games for
Children! by Cynthia MacGregor and its many successor books
Cooperative Games and Sports:Joyful Activiites for Everyone and 393
Non-competitve games for Young Children by Sobel.  Camping Magazine
and The Everybody Wins movement has chapters in almost every state in
the U.S. .

What about The International Association for the Study of Cooperation
in Education, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, AUSTRALIA.  They
totally rock.  Check out all their games.

Sivasailam Thiagarajan has written the most extensive collection.
GAMES BY THIAGI.  He was in Bloomington Indiana.  He seems to be a bit
commercial these days. Hey whatever it takes, right?
Barbara J. Wien