Re: Board Games that teach consensus/cooperation
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:50:55 -0800 (PST)
This isn't exactly a game but it is something that could be used in communities as a community challenge.

My granddaughter's school follows the International Baccalaureate program, which is very heavily values based. The values on cards up around the room and students are reminded of them regularly and their behavior related to a value. (I wish I had the list but I've gone blank on it.)

Children the only reason for going to time-out is being uncaring. The spelling lists are divided into to categories, regular and "take a risk" containing harder words. Risk-taking is stressed as a positive value in many ways -- unlike any school I ever attended!!!

The children are rewarded in class for demonstrations of values and receive a "principled" ticket. If two children cooperate when choosing who gets to read a book first, they receive tickets. The tickets are placed in a bowl in the class room. When the bowl is full, they take it to the principal's office where they dump it into a "really big bowl," as one says. When that bowl is full, the whole school has a fun day.

I was so impressed that they not only stress values individually but collectively. The school is also Chinese immersion so I suspect that some of this is the influence of the Chinese teachers who are all native Chinese-speakers.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC