Re: HOA taxes
From: Diana E Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 08:54:37 -0800 (PST)

A focus on expenses from the IRS point of view can hijack the process
of funding a community. Even cohousing has conservative thinkers who
use the IRS as their standard for justifying not spending money on
things they consider to be frivolous -- those that don't fall within
the 90%.

*shrug*

As the community's bookkeeper and treasurer, it's my job to file taxes, and tax time is fast approaching, so right now my focus is on what the IRS wants. I'm fine with that and I don't think anything is being hijacked. I'm happy for this conversation about taxes as it is apropos for me and my community. Saving money on taxes AND (even more importantly) protecting ourselves from risk and not overburdening our poor overworked volunteer bookkeeper (me) is a legitimate community goal.

- Diana
--
Now is the time for community........Mosaic Commons cohousing
Homes still available...........http://www.mosaic-commons.org