Re: Co-housing and ecovillages
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:38:48 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 8, 2010, at 5:24 PM, Cindy T wrote:

I've been wondering how people see the distinction between co- housing and ecovillages?
Are ecovillages always rural?

A person planning a very large ecovillage in Australia recently explained their concept as the housing is cohousing, but the ecovillage is larger. It includes activities involving people who do not live there. Gardens, recycling, businesses making eco products, etc.

Another person is planning 4 cohousing communities clustered to form a large ecovillage.

I think most ecovillages do function like cohousing but with a stronger moral imperative to be as green as possible. This may include growing their own food, composting toilets, etc. Each village different depending on their location and desires.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." Albert Einstein