Re: ecovillage vs cohousing distinctions
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:24:43 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 8, 2010, Sharon V wrote:

I think most ecovillages do function like cohousing but with a
stronger moral imperative to be as green as possible. This may include
growing their own food, composting toilets, etc.
This says it for me. RoseWind Cohousing in Port Townsend WA is literally across the street from the PT EcoVillage, so no distinction in location here. In comparing our built cohousing community with the ecovillage-in-planning, the projected EV has more land in agriculture, more references in vision and guidance documents to sustainability- permaculture-environmental-impact and various social-justice factors.They have requirements limiting house size, green building standards, and generally somewhat more communality.

Our cohousing includes many people for whom similar values are important, but it isn't as much a requirement, and the overall degree of commitment to such is less. You'll find electric cars, beehives, worm bins and vegetable crops on both sides of the street. However, there is more space in the cohousing for less-alternative types as well.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org where you'll find info on two resales here, one quite 'EcoVillage' in small size and simplicity, and another a more- typical cohousing "regular" house (though with solar panels).