Re: ecovillage vs cohousing distinctions
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizverizon.net)
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 22:02:29 -0800 (PST)
I'm not sure we've heard that rule. I'm pretty confident there isn't a single definition.

Sawyerhill Ecovillage is made up of Mosaic Commons and Camelot Cohousing, two separate cohousing communities.

Mosaic has superinsulation, triple paned windows, small houses designed to handle single point heat (the plan was pellets, and the houses can be adapted for pellets) built in piping for adding solar hot water, low-voc construction. We have leed-level construction. We have an organic garden and pesticide free landscaping and a committment to use the most environmentally friendly supplies in the common house and at common activities that we can.

We are calling that an ecovillage.

I've heard someone say that it is not an ecovillage if you have cars. Well we aren't following that definition! But I think we've done a great job of prioritizing the "eco" in our "coho" community.

-Liz
www.mosaic-commons.org
508-450-0431.
We'd love to have you as a neighbor! 1, 2, 4 BR homes still available.