Re: Taxe Exempt Expenses & the Idea of Cohousing Expenses
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 07:32:46 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 9, 2010, at 9:09 PM, Ellen Keyne Seebacher wrote:

state has
strict rules about what we can charge affordable-unit buyers for
condo fees, and the town has forbidden us (as a condition of our
building permit) to require "cohousing" fees from owners who don't
want to participate.

But do you have to think of them as "cohousing' vs "condo' fees. We have labels that the treasurer and accountant use on forms that we don't use otherwise. They don't define how we think or talk about of our expenses in the community.

We have a long list of categories of cohousing expenses. 3,5,8, and 9 may be the tax or legally related categories, in your case the mandatory fees, but they are all cohousing fees.

My concern is that we not come to consider cohousing only to be the social aspects of cohousing. Otherwise we could just be a neighborhood association or a food and babysitting club.

Cohousing is "cooperative housing."

If anything, the facilities maintenance part of the fees should be called cohousing, not the activities part.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." Albert Einstein