Re: ecovillage vs cohousing distinctions
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:51:38 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 12, 2010, at 12:59 PM, Craig Ragland wrote:

Why? They need to be larger to qualify as a full-featured settlement
and to have multiple centers of initiative (of significant size). I've
heard the idea from a few ecovillage movement people that an
ecovillage requires least 500 people to have these characteristics.

This is what people mean when they say that the housing part is cohousing but the cohousing is within a larger ecovillage "with several centers of initiative." I wasn't saying it well.

A cohousing community building green and recycling wouldn't qualify as an ecovillage.

The two ecovillages whose planners I've spoken with have 4 cohousing groups planned within them.

With the size required for ecological sustainability, cohousing is the only form of residential community I can imagine that would produce community living. Over 35-40 households and it is difficult to hold the center. We have 43 units and as those 43 begin to hold more and more residents, it's hard to really know each other the way we did when we had 50 adults living here. Keeping everyone up to date and informed well enough to make good consensus decisions is also difficult.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC