Re: Options [was the concept of cohousing v. actual cohousing]
From: Kristen Simmons (simmonskristengmail.com)
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:22:03 -0800 (PST)
Jessie and Sharon explain options well.

The option allows us to get more information before committing to the
purchase of the site. In our case, we want more accurate cost estimates AND
we want to get more members. The group feels really strongly about this. For
SBC, getting more equity members isn't just about finances, but building
community and being able to make early decisions together.

The group is extremely fortunate to have partnered with an experienced
developer who can negotiate terms and contracts (including this option) to
our advantage. We do have a real estate attorney, but not a broker, as we
found the site ourselves.

Cheers,
Kristen

www.stonybrookcohousing.org
Follow us on twitter at "CohousingBoston"

<snip>

We are Stony Brook Cohousing (SBC), in Boston, MA. We have an option on an

old church, known as Blessed Sacrament, in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of

Boston. We are in the early phases of design and cost estimating, but we
anticipate that the community will have between 30-37 flats and lofts,
ranging in size from studio to 3-bedroom. Four of the homes will be

deed-restricted affordable , the remainder will be market rate. The building

is already permitted for 37 homes, which saves both time and money.