Re: Cohousing vs. communal
From: Alex Kent (alex.m.kentcomcast.net)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 05:55:02 -0800 (PST)
Hello Brian,

Many thanks for your thoughtful reflections on communal living.  A few
thoughts in return:

I'm sure you're right: It can't be easy to live in a commune.  My partner
and I already share our home with housemate renters, students at
UMass/Amherst, for the most part.  Felicia went to a kind of boarding school
in Vermont as a child, living under the direction of house parents (clear
authority figures), and I lived in college dormitories many years ago
(authority figure less clear, but not a whole lot more maturity than
children).  Neither of us has lived in a commune, and certainly never in a
place with 65 other people (other than a hotel).

We have no desire to create a large commune.  We're looking for a living
arrangement in which we can maintain a large measure of autonomy while
sharing the joys and costs of living with other people.  Many would argue --
persuasively -- that cohousing offers the best solution.

No doubt the social dynamic would be completely different from what we have
now if we were to share a home with coequals, co-owners who are not just
housemates.  The "vision" (as opposed to whatever the reality might turn out
to be), of sharing our living spaces with other people is, in fact,
appealing, but only with the right people.  The sticking point, of course,
is that proviso, "the right people."  Frankly, I don't know how to find
those people.  Rob Sandelin of Snohomish Cohousing wrote to warn that,
having assembled a small group of communards we should rent any real estate
before considering a joint purchase.  That makes sense.  It would not be
wise to sign a contract on something as durable as real estate before
finding out if we can all live together.

Truth to tell, we run hot and cold on this issue: Autonomy vs. community.
Cohousing vs. communal home.

We'd like to read any further thoughts you have on these questions.

Thanks,

Alex Kent