Re: Cohousing vs. communal
From: Arielle Greenberg Bywater (ariellecgyahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 06:17:00 -0800 (PST)
Just to back up what Brian said, I am currently working on a research project
about the new back-to-the-land movement, and one thing I do is look at how the
commune model of the previous generation has been altered in the new generation
(and cohousing is one option for this change!).  The commune model often failed
due to a lack of clear policies, good process, and issues around ownership,
workload and privacy.   It's my sense that by its nature, cohousing seeks to
proactively address these problems.

Also, someone in our community used to live in another community where kitchen
sharing happened, and she was just telling us this weekend how sharing a
kitchen led to constant conflict that was a LOT of work, and that the community
could not recommend kitchen sharing.  In our culture, the kinds of issues
brought up around kitchen sharing are intense.  At the very least, I'd plan to
do serious skill-training around conflict resolution for all the members in
your household, Alex!

Another idea: check out one of the communes that has made it work--such as The
Farm or Twin Oaks--and ask how they've solved for the typical problems of such
arrangements.  My guess is a lot of the solutions have to do with very clearly
delineated--and ongoing renegotiation of--roles, tasks and policies.

Good luck with seeing your vision through!
Arielle