Re: Attracting families to already existing cohousing communities
From: Michael Barrett (mbarretttoast.net)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:48:12 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Silas Langley" <silaslangley [at] yahoo.com>
To: <cohousing-L [at] cohousing.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:25 PM
Subject: [C-L]_ Attracting families to already existing cohousing communities

I'm a member of a cohousing community in Portland, Oregon. We have few kids here (two of them are mine) but would like to attract more families with kids. There is currently a great family home for sale in our community. And another one will be on the market soon. The community would really like more kids and the community is in a family friendly area of town. We've taken some steps to make our community more attractive to families, such as building a new play structure and holding many kid-friendly events throughout the year. But we're still not getting many bites.

Are there any other communities out there with a similar situation? Are there any communities out there that had few kids but managed to turn that around and gain more families with kids? I would love some advice or recommendations from others out there on what steps we as a community might take to encourage more families to consider buying a home here. It really is a great place for kids! Perhaps we haven't yet considered something.

Silas Langley
Cascadia Commons Cohousing