Trailer Park as Community
From: Blaise Tobia (tobiabjdrexel.edu)
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 15:20:51 -0800 (PST)
I haven't posted here in awhile, although I continue to read regularly. Two of
my main concerns within cohousing have long been urban siting and
affordability, and I know that trailer parks and modular houses have been
brought up before. But, an article I happened to read in the Philadelphia
Inquirer on Monday really struck me - in that it described real community in a
"trailer park" near Philadelphia that has seen a revitalization over the past
several years, due in part to the economic crisis that has led many to think
more modestly. I've also had some personal experience in that my sister lives
in a trailer park in northern NJ that also has a good sense of community. My
point - if I have one beyond just wanting to share this article - is that we
shouldn't get too bogged down in the physical and design aspcts of cohousing.
Building coho trailer parks, slowly converting apartment buildings, organicaly
changing neighborhoods - these should all be part of the mix.

I don't know how long this link will function, but the article is currently at
<http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/84368237.html>. If you find the
link to be inactive, you're welcome to email me (off the list) for a copy.

-- Blaise Tobia

Philadelphia / Pearl Court Co-Garden