Re: building rentals
From: Marganne Meyer (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 02:24:29 -0800 (PST)
At 4:33 PM -0800 2/17/10, Rob Sandelin wrote:
In our neighborhood mother in law apartments have cost much less than the
figure Lynn used and some of those that have them find the extra income to
be important in helping them make their monthly mortgage.

Ron, this has been my observation too. Often someone can't afford a home until they get one with a rental -- can be attached or not. If it works right, the rent comes close to covering the mortgage, leaving money available to make improvements to the house that otherwise wouldn't happen.

I've also rented part of a home bought by someone else. Having a housemate can be fun and makes paying the mortgage easier. That's why I wondered how many cohousers ever build specifically with this in mind.