Re: Trailer Park as Community / toxicity issues
From: jehako (jehakomac.com)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:59:41 -0800 (PST)
Hi-

I was present at the Congressional hearing on the post Katrina trailers in MS
and LA and I have attended briefings from CDC scientists. The answer to whether
the air in a trailer is or can become toxic is nuanced. Any newly constructed
dwelling can become toxic if is too tightly sealed, subjected to extreme heat
and humidity, improperly ventilated, and the doors and windows are not opened
more than a couple of times a day. This is particularly true for a small
dwelling. And many of the trailers you heard about were not really dwellings,
but travel trailers.

If you get a mobile home built to post 1994 HUD standards from a reputable
source, ventilate it, and properly maintain it, I think the air inside will be
as "safe" as indoor air is expected to be. Not as good as a super green
dwelling or most outdoors locations, but good enough.

-Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring. MD
"Where the new baby just arrived"