Trailer toxicity - formaldehyde
From: Cindy T (cindy_t25hotmail.com)
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:29:22 -0800 (PST)
It's not just a matter of ventilation in trailers.  It's important to look at
the materials used in them.  The problem with the FEMA trailers was
formaldehyde.  Formaldehyde is a cheap industrial by-product that kills
mold,etc.  It is used in manufactured wood products (cabinets, plywood, etc.),
paint, carpeting, furniture, caulk, adhesives, fragrances, etc.  It's also
sprayed on natural fiber clothing coming from Asia to keep it from getting
moldy in the ship.  It's in vehicle exhuast and all kinds of smoke.

No one knows who is more susceptible to formaldehyde sensitization and
toxicity, or what the threshold is, because this is not the kind of medical
research big pharmaceutical/chemical companies want to pay for.  Nine of us
here were injured by long term exposure to low levels of it in our medical
workplace.  That was 18 years ago and we are all still sensitized and unable to
be in most public places due to ambient levels of formaldehyde being too high
for us.

Anyone planning to live in a trailer may want to ask a lot of questions, and do
some testing inside it first.

There are ceramic trailers made without formaldehyde but they are expensive.
Europe may have lower allowable levels of formaldehyde too.

Cindy T

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469226/direct/01/