Re: limited-access events in common space
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 21:06:08 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 10, 2010, at 10:34 PM, Muriel Kranowski wrote:

So, is it legitimate for a self-defined subgroup to meet in a common space and exclude other members? Has this come up, or does this occur, in other communities? And even if not, I'd like to hear your philosophical take on it.

A long delayed response. The only kind of thing we've had like this is an NVC group that takes in new people at set times --every 3-6 months or so. And a Spanish class that only wants people who are at the same level they are. A birthday party was once announced as only for 3-year- olds.

I think those are reasonable requests. Nothing is decided based on the 'who', but on objective standards that others can meet if they want to. Well, I guess not the 3-year-old part.

People here would be very uncomfortable setting up an exclusive group, particularly a social group. Even adults-only dinners cause some friction in some places.

We have a policy that if a group is going to meet more than 2-3 times, like a regular book group, would have to ask if there were objections. I think there would be objections to your subgroup.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC