Re: limited-access events in common space
From: Jessie Kome (jehakomac.com)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 05:22:41 -0800 (PST)
Hi-

It is interesting how group values differ.  I think our rule at Eastern Village
(without taking the time to look it up - not through my coffee yet this
morning) is that closed or invite-only events are OK, but community events are
a higher priority.  If someone wants to have a single or repeating event of
this sort, the sponsoring member has to tell the community as far in advance as
possible and explicitly ask if there are any objections.  If there are no
objections, or they are worked out, then the member tells the guests the
expected rules of behavior (we are not a zoo, no looking in windows; clean up
after your group. . .) and has the event.

Our community has engagement with the greater neighborhood and the world
written into our vision statement.  Many of us feel that having guests into
this community spreads the word about cohousing, LEED certification, and
increases our voice and ability to change the world for the better.  The
members who do not feel this, or don't feel it as strongly, have consented to
the policy as it has evolved.  It was somewhat contentious at first, but seems
to have largely settled down.  Especially as we have realized that the vast
majority of events are community or extended family oriented.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, MD
"Where the snow is slowly slowly melting."