Re: limited-access events in common space
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 08:31:57 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 21, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Jessie Kome wrote:

Our community has engagement with the greater neighborhood and the world written into our vision statement. Many of us feel that having guests into this community spreads the word about cohousing, LEED certification, and increases our voice and ability to change the world for the better.

I think the question was not about "outside" community events but about some members setting up their own exclusive group that meets in the CH.

We have lots of community groups meeting in our CH on a one time or ongoing basis - neighborhood associations, the green this and that, the electric car society, the bike trail people, etc. Even they are rarely exclusive groups, however. Other than extended family events, I can remember only one that members were not invited to join. And some extended family events invite us to join too. One extended family used to have family dinner on Easter and several members became regular attendees and looked forward to it every year.

It may also make a difference in terms of how your commonhouse is set up. Ours is very open. No group could meet in the dining room or living room without being observed by anyone walking through to get their mail, do the laundry, etc. So if I were a member of a group that decided it only wanted the "six of us" and no one else was allowed to join and we met in the CH, it would be very obvious and hurtful to at least some other members.

At Eastern Village, in contrast, there are lots of nooks and crannies where people could meet and no one else would ever know about it.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC