Re: limited-access events in common space
From: John Beutler (jabeutlercomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 11:35:45 -0800 (PST)
Actually, Muriel & I were involved in just this sort of situation at Shadow Lake Village recently. A bunch of us Liberty Villagers staged what we like to call a "home invasion pod dinner" to visit a former LVer who moved to SLV (partly because they had a functioning common house). We told our friend that he could invite 2 friends and we'd eat in the common house, since that would be a total of 10 folks (too big for his place) and we had no intention of feeding the whole community (!). As it happened, about a dozen other folks, including Muriel, showed up and added potluck and everybody had a nice time. I don't think any feelings were hurt, though I think some soup intended for another meal might have been consumed....anyway, it seems to me that many common houses are underutilized. BTW, SLV has a wonderful common house.

I think those whose feelings would be hurt by small groups doing distinct things should look at their expectations for cohousing. We're not here to meet ALL of each other's needs for companionship. Remember the theory of a balance between public and private. I think that applies.

And, I think it's OK to announce that Liberty Village will soon have a temporary common house that will be an upgrade on how we've been making do....details to follow on a creative solution, once it's a done deal.

Cheers

JAB