Re: limited-access events in common space
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:59:56 -0800 (PST)
Having the common house as "an extension of one's living room" isn't as simple as it sounds. Different values come into play in shared space. (You may let the kids upend the furniture at home and leap about on it, but if it breaks at the CH, we all pay for it.) Nobody needs to go through my living room to get their mail or check a bulletin board calendar or sign up sheet!

At RoseWind we have plenty of events in the common house which are not all-invited events. Personal socials, such as birthdays, memorials, family reunions, cast parties. Sponsored events such as workshops, retreats, meetings and potlucks of various local organizations, rehearsals.

The relevant expectations are:
RoseWind events have priority: our meals, meetings, socials.
Ongoing events - more than a day or a weekend - need to be run by the community to be sure there are no conflicts with the desires of others to use the space. Privacy - nobody can guarantee total privacy. Community members may enter to get their mail, do errands to the kitchen, maybe even have a meeting in a smaller room. So no AA, incest-survivors, deep psychological work. On the other hand, we have had Reiki and meditation retreats, with a request that people be aware that a private and 'quiet' event is taking place. This has worked fine.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
two resales available
All is bright green, in bloom or bud. My plum tree is a mass of pink blossoms, crocus up, daffodils almost out. Shirtsleeves warm enough to do yard work. No snow, almost ever.
www.rosewind.org