Re: hurting others, Subj: limited-access events in common space
From: Diana E Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:46:18 -0800 (PST)

On 2/23/2010 4:33 PM, Joanie Connors wrote:

That said, there is something inherently offputting about having an
exclusive group meet in a facility that was created and paid for by an
inclusive community.

Hmmm.  I don't see it that way.

Our common house was created and paid for by a group of individuals to meet our collective needs. Including me!

As a group we decided to make our homes smaller and make the common house be available for functions that the rest of the world usually uses their own home for.

In the home I lived in before moving here, I used to like to host occasional dinner parties and similar small intimate gatherings of close friends. My new home is smaller than my old home, and thus less suited to such gatherings. This was a sacrifice I was willing to make because I understood that the common house was available to me.

I've continued the practice of hosting these small intimate gatherings of close friends (some of whom are fellow members of my community, some of whom are not). I reserve a room in the CH for the purpose.

It isn't secretive...it's published on our electronic reservations calendar. And all our rooms (other than bathrooms and guest rooms) have big windows to the hallway, so it's no secret from passerby either.

I can't see why my having a small dinner party for a few friends in the CH would be any more hurtful than doing so in my own home.

- Diana

--
Now is the time for community........Mosaic Commons cohousing
Homes still available...........http://www.mosaic-commons.org