Re: hurting others, Subj: limited-access events in common space
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 20:15:58 -0800 (PST)
At 04:33 PM 2/23/2010, Joanie Connors wrote:
<snip>There is something inherently offputting about having an
exclusive group meet in a facility that was created and paid for by an
inclusive community. Small group research finds that exclusion
commonly provokes negative feelings and conflict. Community leaders
might want to avoid subjecting their members to such an effect.

 I find myself disagreeing with Joanie's idea on several counts.

First, it's only offputting if you think it is, not "inherently." One person's concept of an inclusive community may be someone else's idea of stifling group-think if it requires all CH social events to be open to everyone. Different people may truly have different takes on these competing values.

Second, I don't think the answer to the limited-access question can be what Joanie suggests: "Community leaders might want to avoid subjecting their members to such an effect." This is cohousing, there are no community leaders, there are only members, all of whom are empowered and indeed expected to take up a situation that bothers them with the rest of the community, hopefully speaking for themselves and not for the theorized feelings of other people.

Finally, I don't know that we can necessarily extrapolate from small group research studies to cohousing. I'd want to read the studies first before allowing them to influence how my community should operate. I think cohousing communities are more like each other than they are like the conditions in social science research (until s-s-r starts studying cohousing in depth), and therefore it's really important to me to know what other communities do and how that works for them.

(And I want to express my gratitute to Fred Olson for making this possible. It's a huge contribution that you make, Fred!)

     Muriel
     Shadowlake Village Cohousing
     Blacksburg, VA