Gratitude for Fred!
From: Fran Hart (hartmagicfrontier.net)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 07:11:53 -0800 (PST)
Thanks for mentioning your gratitude Muriel.  I would also like to express a
BIG appreciation to Fred Olson for creating and monitoring Coho-l, a forum
which we can explore, share, learn & express the unfolding of a new society.  A
culture rooted in values of cooperation, compassion and contribution thru
community living.

Fred, you enrich my life by allowing me to learn from others and stay connected
to the bigger picture of what's happening in the communities movement.  This
contribution has helped me to understand how to dance the power of my autonomy
and our interconnectedness.  I am grateful!

How about a round of applause for Fred!  How does coho-l contribute to your
life?  Specific examples are beautiful.

Thanks Fred!
Fran Hart

************************************
Compassion is Revolution!!
Join Me!
Fran Hart
970-884-1139
Bayfield, Colorado
www.heartwoodcohousing.com
**************************************

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 23:15:51 -0500Muriel Kranowski <murielk [at] vt.edu> wrote:

><snip>
   First, it's only offputting if you think it is, not "inherently."  One
person's concept of an inclusive community may be someone else's idea of
stifling group-think if it requires all CH social events to be open to
everyone. Different people may truly have different takes on these
competing values.

  Second, I don't think the answer to the limited-access question can be
what Joanie suggests: "Community leaders might want to avoid subjecting
their members to such an effect."  This is cohousing, there are no
community leaders, there are only members, all of whom are empowered and
indeed expected to take up a situation that bothers them with the rest of
the community, hopefully speaking for themselves and not for the theorized
feelings of other people.

  Finally, I don't know that we can necessarily extrapolate from small
group research studies to cohousing. I'd want to read the studies first
before allowing them to influence how my community should operate. I think
cohousing communities are more like each other than they are like the
conditions in social science research (until s-s-r starts studying
cohousing in depth), and therefore it's really important to me to know what
other communities do and how that works for them.

(And I want to express my gratitute to Fred Olson for making this possible.
It's a huge contribution that you make, Fred!)

      Muriel
      Shadowlake Village Cohousing
      Blacksburg, VA

Compassion is Revolution!!