Re: hurting others, Subj: limited-access events in common space
From: Kristen Simmons (simmonskristengmail.com)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 07:58:12 -0800 (PST)
I haven't found anywhere in the cohousing literature specifically about
inclusiveness or exclusiveness. Although certainly deliberately inflicting
pain on a neighbor would seem to be not very "cohouse-y".

Cohousing communities, as I understand it, are built to foster community;
not to require it. That is probably the biggest misconception that I come
across when I speak with people who are unfamiliar with the cohousing
concept.

Whether the common spaces are available for private functions seems to
really depend upon the values of a specific community, and the design of the
spaces should accommodate whatever this value is. Within Stony Brook
Cohousing (Boston), my forming community, we do specifically talk about
being able to have a smaller home because we will have access to the common
room and guests rooms. This fits within our value of sustainability and
having a smaller footprint. We have also discussed what a waste it would be
if the common house isn't active and used a lot. Having a lot of things
going on, whether public or private, adds a certain vibrancy to a community.

Just my two cents,
Kristen