Re: Consensus [was balance]
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:22:38 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 25, 2010, at 12:46 AM, Rob Sandelin wrote:

Unanimous agreement in a group bigger than a dozen is extraordinarily
difficult. And what most groups call consensus is really unanimous
agreement.

Gerard Endenburg, who developed sociocracy, calls unanimous agreement solidarity. There are times when solidarity is what is wanted/needed, for example, when making a commitment to an illegal political activity. The underground during WWII required solidarity or a less than committed member could endanger the lives of others.

At a lesser level, a group I was a member of needed everyone to commit to active participation in a very challenging fundraising activity to acquire a property. There was a drop-dead deadline. Without solidarity, the efforts of others would be wasted.

I think it is important to recognize solidarity as an option, and having it allows consensus to be freed of the necessity to serve both purposes.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Nothing exists without order. Nothing comes into existence without chaos. Albert Einstein