Re: Consensus [was balance]
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:59:52 -0800 (PST)
Hi everyone!

Consensus is always such a powerful topic of discussion on this list ... as elsewhere.

I think this is because it seems to go to the very heart of how we govern ourselves.

And in cohousing is this new territory for most of us. For a lot of us this is the first time in our lives when we have the opportunity ... the power ... to have a say in EVERY aspect of our living situation. And because we can ... we do.

In cohousing we are exploring in our communities who gets to make the "rules." Who has "authority" and "power?" In the larger world these rules are almost always already in place. In cohousing ... it's up for "grabs." We're making it up. Or creating it. We don't have an abundance of models on how to do this. We are truly pioneers.

As Rob and Sharon have alluded ... I have come to believe the inability to move forward on issues is more of a governance issue than a decision issue.

I often see posted or hear that a voting back up is an answer to this dilemma. Any number of ways of constructing a voting back up are offered: after x number of meetings, having a super majority agree to it, etc. And that somehow w/ these criteria (and/or others) in place everything turns out alright in the community after the "vote" is taken.

I'd like to find out more about this whole voting back up process.

How many of you in your communities use a voting back up?

Under what conditions?

How frequently have you used it?

And what has been the aftermath? What has been the affect of the vote on the individuals whose position, consideration, concern, etc. was not included in the decision? AND I'd like to hear from those disaffected by the vote not just from people whose position was confirmed by the vote.

Let's get down in the weeds on this. I'd truly like to know what it's like the day after the vote has been taken on a serious, divisive issue.

Was the community healed?

Did the vote somehow make life in the community better?

Did the community have to go thru a healing process?

Was the vote worth it?

What did you learn?

Would you do it again?

What happened to those in the minority?

Thanks, all! I look forward to hearing your actual experience in using a voting back up. And, again, I'd like to hear how it was for those in the minority.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC