consensus, voting, and split households
From: Audrey Watson (audreygalisteo.com)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:11:58 -0800 (PST)
Follows are our bylaws, which is where it is defined.  For consensus, it is
members present, whether they are co-owners, or not, they are members.  If one
person objects, it is still one person, no such thing as a 1/2 person blocking
consensus....

Elections, and the budget are done by a vote (which is specified elsewhere in
the lease, not the section I'm quoting below, and the budget must be passed by
a 2/3 majority of households (present or in writing), in our case there are 30
households, so it has to have 20 votes to pass), not consensus, and in that
case, the vote is split by the co-owners, as needed if they differ.  Likewise
elections, the vote is split if there are multiple owners.
.

/*"Section 4.1 Quorum. */
The presence in person of at least fifty-one percent (51%) of the authorized memberships of the Association shall constitute a quorum at any membership meeting. If only one co-owner is present, the membership shall be counted as present. No decision may be made unless a quorum is present.

/*Section 4.2 Consensus; Voting. */

4.2.1 For all decisions except those otherwise specified in these bylaws or the lease, the members present at a membership meeting will first utilize a consensus-building process as prescribed by the members in order to secure the support of all members present for a decision. Community discussion of any proposal prior to a decision-making meeting is encouraged.

4.2.2 If the support of all the members present cannot be obtained for a proposal within a reasonable time and a majority of the authorized memberships present agree that a decision must be made, a request for a vote, stating time and place, may be called and action taken at the later meeting by approval of seventy-five percent (75%) of the authorized memberships present.

4.2.3 Majority" shall mean fifty-one percent (51%) of the authorized memberships present at a duly constituted meeting. If a membership is held jointly, half votes may be cast. If a membership is held by more than two persons, one vote shall be cast as determined by a majority of the holders. If a membership is held by more than one person and only one is present, in person or by proxy, that person is entitled to cast the vote for the membership."

Audrey
Winslow Cohousing

A question has come up for our Steering team about consensus, that may never
have arisen before in our community, or even if it has, it's worth
re-visiting:

In testing for consensus, is it by resident, by owner, or by unit?  What if
it concerns the election of the Board, which is required by the Bylaws?
Owners only, by unit only (with proxy process in place)?  What if two
people, married to each other, and owners of a unit, disagree?

If consensus is not achieved, it goes to a vote, 75% of residents, to be
approved by 80% of those present.  That seems fairly clear.  In a muddy sort
of way....

Any light you can cast on the matter would be appreciated!

Jude, at Trillium Hollow in Portland Oregon