Re: Consensus [was balance] - voting
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 12:57:07 -0800 (PST)
Brian --

Thank you for this very interesting glimpse at your experience in using a voting back up.

If you don't mind ... I have some additional questions?

Concerning the issue on which the vote was taken -- I'm assuming that you tried many avenues to reach consensus over a period of time but just want to check out your process so I'm not doing too much assuming ...

How many times did you meet as a party of the whole to discuss the proposal?

What other methods were tried to reach consensus? Small groups? One on one?

Who actually called for the voting process to be "activated?"

And once the vote was called for ... what was the process used to actually take the vote? Did you have to have Super Majority present to call the vote? Was the vote on the proposal done immediately?

When you say voting is less divisive than struggling for consensus this is because_______? Can you flesh this out a little? If it's truly less divisive I'm wondering why we don't simply vote? Just wondering out loud ... (there's nothing wrong w/ Robert's Rules of Order ... I think ... of course there's the Congress to think about ... but ...?)

Thanks for sharing all this, Brian! The more information we have about reality than theory ... the better!

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC