Cohousing Conference, March 20, DC/MD
From: Sharon Villines (Sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 09:46:23 -0800 (PST)
A reminder about the cohousing conference at the University of Maryland, Saturday, March 20th.

I will be presenting a workshop on reserve studies - what they are, why you need them, and how to use them so they are invaluable in managing and maintaining facilities. And the first one should be done before you move in. Contributions to the maintenance and replacement reserves are a major part of community fees and you need to know what they should be, up front.

A copy of a real reserve study will be handed out at the workshop along with a spreadsheet for tracking real costs based on the reserve study.

Ann Zabaldo, also on this list and my neighbor upstairs, has worked tirelessly on this and it will be a unique opportunity to meet and network with a wide range of cohousing luminaries:

The draft of the revised Building a Sustainable Community, a Handbook for Developers, will also be available. (I have worked tirelessly on this.)

Dene Peterson, Aging in Community;
John Buck and CT Butler, Dynamic Governance;
Stan Sersen of the Green Building Institute lunch time speaker;
Zev Paiss, keynote speaker on "Peak Community;"
Laird Schaub on facilitation and consensus;
Neshama Abraham on Marketing in a down economy;
the ever peripatetic Raines Cohen on everything,
And many more.

It's a small intimate conference for those who are starting or thinking of starting a community, or living in one, or curious. Inexpensive, one day. And you won't be able to meet all these people on the East Coast anytime soon.

Website:   http://www.midatlanticcohousing.org

The discount for early registration ends today (?). Soon.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC