Re: advice on resolving conflicts
From: Mark Harfenist (markharfyahoo.com)
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 04:16:59 -0800 (PST)
Tree's response, pasted below, is worth reading and re-reading.  A community
which practices conflict-avoidance (in whatever form, including "It's too
expensive," or "we don't have the time....") needs to admit to its collective
self that problems do not really reside in individuals.  Hoping that the
troublesome individual in question will just get a clue or vanish in some way
doesn't really work; instead, it strengthens a shared, often unspoken set of
protocols for dealing with problematic members.

The tendency is for the same or similar problems to arise again and again in
different forms, often embodied in different people, since they are expressions
of systematic issues, human nature, or random probability.  In other words,
even if the person in question leaves the community, someone else will
mysteriously step forward to play the same role.  This can be very depressing
to experience.  Furthermore, the tendency is for avoidance to absorb more
energy than confronting the problem actively ever could have, although at a
different intensity and pitch.

On the other hand, avoidance is an established way of running, for example,
families, communities, macroeconomic systems and international geopolitical
processes. As long as everyone experiences it as a deliberate choice--"I'm
choosing to put my energy elsewhere..."--and understands the implications,
who's to criticize?  We're all somewhere on the same confront-vs.-avoid
continuum, and we're all constantly experimenting with where we'd like to move
on the continuum in the future.

Hope that perspective is helpful.

Mark

(of Bellingham Cohousing, but writing from southern Chile, where similar issues
are being played out in a very different realm)

Tree Bresson wrote:
However, the situation as you describe it sounds problematic, and i'm
not just talking about your designated problem person.  ANY way to
solve this is going to take substantial time and preparation, whether
you hire an outside facilitator or not.  If people don't have the
energy to deal with it, then i think y'all need to acknowledge that
you are actively choosing to live with this situation as is.  On the
other hand, if "i don't have time" said by your members is a
euphemism for "i feel too scared to take this on, this situation
requires more skills than i/we have," then hiring an outside
facilitator may help.

While i am hugely in favor of using local consultants, seeing it
framed immediately in terms of cost, combined with the resistance to
gathering in circle, makes me worry that your community's ongoing
commitment to gaining the skills required to deal with situations
like this may be lacking.  No matter how this particular situation
turns out, in all likelihood it will not be the last time that your
community has a tough conflict with one of its members.  The
communities i've seen that are the happiest and healthiest are the
ones that make a strong commitment to "learn how to fish" by gaining
core peacemaking skills.  This may happen in a variety of ways, such
as study groups, internal presentations by community members who have
expertise to share, hiring outside trainers, supporting members to
attend workshops and report back, etc.

Good luck,

--Tree