Are you Keeping your "Seniors" at home in your community?
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 06:20:26 -0800 (PST)

Hello all -- the following is a request for information from a panelist in one of the workshops at the upcoming "Cohousing: Growing Smart Communities" conference at the University of Maryland on Sat. March, 20, 2010. See http://www.MidAtlanticCohousing.org for more info on the conference. I'll send you all a description of the actual workshop under separate email.

PLEASE REPLY DIRECTLY TO JOAN. Her email is as the bottom of her request. Thank you all and I hope to see you at the conference!

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church VA
703 663 3911

--begin--

WHAT IS YOUR COMMUNITY THINKING/DOING ABOUT "AGING IN COMMUNITY"?

Hello! I'm Joan King and I live w/ my husband Ed at Eastern Village in Silver Spring, MD. We are founding members of EVC. Both my husband and I are 70. Although we are very active and involved in our community right now I'm wondering what will happen to us as we get "older."

So. I am seeking input from cohousing communities--elder, and intergenerational --about support services for members as they reach their 70s, 80s, 90s. I am one of the panelists for an Aging in Community workshop for the March 20th cohousing conference!

At some point even the cohousing model has difficulty sustaining some individuals in the community. What happens when your community members -- who may have been founding members -- reach an age when they need ongoing daily support? Are they expected to leave? Supporting one member is one thing. What happens when the community ages so there are 5 or 10 members needing support? Have you, as a community, thought about this? Does your community, as a community, talk about this?

Does your community have in place some system for providing support services to older members? Have you all talked about keeping elders at home? Or ... do you simply assume that they will move to a retirement community or assisted living when they can no longer fully participate in the community? What are your plans? I'm very interested in hearing examples of how you have or are keeping your older residents at home in your cohousing community.

Here at Eastern Village our "senior" members meet for brunch once a month. I began noticing that some members were making plans to "retire" to another retirement community or making plans to live outside our cohousing community when they got to a certain age. That started me thinking: how can I and others stay right here at Eastern Village?

I'm grateful for any examples you have of how you are dealing with this. Or plan to deal with this question of keeping "seniors" at home.

Please send any examples or thoughts you have to:
Joan King <joan [at] easternvillage.org>
301-587-4440

Thank you!

Joan King
Eastern Village