Re: Are you Keeping your "Seniors" at home in your community?
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 07:48:50 -0800 (PST)
How we age successfully at Songaia has been a hot topic for a few
years now. Songaia is 35 people in 13 homes on 11 acres near Seattle
AND several associate members who do not live at Songaia (yet). We
range in age from 0 to 76 - importantly, most of our early members are
now empty-nesters and/or seniors.

I was first energized about this topic when enjoying an after-dinner
conversation with Ann Zabaldo at Berkeley Cohousing. We were in
Berkeley for a Coho/US Cohousing Development workshop and Chuck's book
on Senior Cohousing was new - and a hot topic.

I found the idea of Senior Cohousing very exciting. But even more
exciting for me were the ideas shared by seniors who were already
living in multi-generational Cohousing. As a result of these
conversations, I wrote a short article about this for Communities
Magazine (this lead to my first connection with Diana Leafe
Christian).

The more I thought about aging in place, the more clear I became that
Songaia needed to get out in front of this issue. Since then, some of
us have:

(1) learned a lot by participating in a ten-session study group which
was based loosely on the Senior Cohousing Study Group One (see Chuck
Durrett's book Senior Cohousing). We had an average attendance of 19
members and associate members across the 10 sessions.

(2) created an internal support system based loosely on "Share The Care."

http://www.sharethecare.org/

As Joan notes, caring for one person in your current homes/community
may be feasible, caring for multiple people may not.

(3) purchased an adjoining property for the development of an
additional "community housing node" which will be a part of the larger
"Songaia Neighborhood." This new space will allow some of  our members
to age in senior-friendly homes, thus making space for young families
to live in our existing Songaia homes.

These may be worth considering in your Mar 20 panel discussion - I
wish I could be there!

Craig Ragland
Songaia Cohousing Community member since 1992