Pacific Gardens Cohousing, Nanaimo BC, in the news!
From: Susana Michaelis (susanapacificgardens.ca)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:55:53 -0700 (PDT)
Hello cohousing community,

Here is the latest "Hot off the Press" coverage of Pacific Gardens, taken at our Thursday potluck.

We're on the front page!
Here's the story online:
http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/index.html

We never expected to be on the front page! Woohoo!! I hope this gets carried by other newspapers in the CanWest system of newspapers. If you see it in your paper, please drop me an e-mail!

Although the reporter says we aren't worried, of course, we want to pay off all our debts and have the units sold out. We still have 5 great units for sale, 1 bedroom and den, 2 bedroom, a couple of 2 bedroom and dens, and 3 bedroom and den. I can honestly say there isn't one unfavourable unit in our whole project. I could happily live in any one of them!! We would love some great new neighbours!

Our units are far more appealing than the high-end waterfront condo I lived in for 16 years where no-one knew each other, and an unused hot tub was the only common amenity. Our amenities are extensive and outstanding. The glass-covered indoor street, connects all units to each other and to the Common House.

We have an in-house daycare being run by one of the residents. She calls it "Free Range Kids" as they will be fed organic food and learn all about nature and healthy living, without the need for electronic entertainment. With fabulous Vancouver Island University a short distance away, we have students from all over the world looking for a sense of community while they study away from their homeland.

Currently we have 6 Chinese Students, one Moroccan student and 2 Canadian students. Chinese New Year was an all-day event hosted by our Chinese Students. It is truly fun to see the multi-generational and multi-cultural blend of folk, all enjoying life at Pacific Gardens! There are constant requests for rooms and rentals. This has created a nice mix of owners, renters and room-mates. Without trying, we attracted diversity of ages, cultures and economics. We could not have envisioned such a rich tapestry of folk when we first drafted the plans for Pacific Gardens. It has evolved into its own multi-cultural character, without our help!

Our website hasn't quite caught up to all the new activity at Pacific Gardens, but check it out anyway to get a feel for who we are. We are currently planning our gardens for the coming summer, and replanting the heritage apple trees that were grafted from old trees on the property. Pacific Tree Frogs are chorusing in our pond, and mating pairs of mallards and grebes are getting ready to nest. Last year we had 9 ducklings hatch in the midst of all the construction noise!

A group of musicians have written a special song to bless our land and gardens at Pacific Gardens, and will be holding a Spring Equinox Celebration in our Dining Room on March 20th. We have such a great community of friends who have supported us throughout the years, and now celebrate our successes.

We hope to see some of you up here for a visit!
In community,
Susana Michaelis
ww.pacificgardens.ca
250-753-4892