Financial hardship
From: Peter Kent (petertakomavillage.org)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:39:35 -0700 (PDT)
In the fall of 2008 when the financial crisis was beginning to hit hard there was a flurry of discussion about how cohousing communities were dealing with members in need. Overall the housing market is still very disrupted with record levels of foreclosures. But I haven't seen much discussion here on the impact. Are cohousing communities somehow insulated from broad market forces or are we just not talking about it?

Here at Takoma Village we've been considering ways to respond if a neighbor needs help. We're located in Washington, DC and are fortunate that DC is one of the few areas in the country dominated by a major growth industry. Nonetheless most people do not work for the federal government so even here times are much harder than a few years ago. We haven't had any serious problems with collections much less foreclosure but we want to be prepared if such problems arise.

Has your community experienced issues related to the economy? Have you had any homes foreclosed? How have you responded, as a community or as individuals?

Thanks,
Peter
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC