allocation of reserve expenses
From: Margaret (margaret.portermindspring.com)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:40:09 -0700 (PDT)
We are a fairly new cohousing community.  We did an initial reserve study
and allocated our reserve expenditures about 50 percent by household and the
rest primarily by square footage.  We now have an updated reserve study and
are planning its implementation.  We are curious what other cohousing
communities' experience has been with allocating reserve expenditures-what
formulas have you used; how have they worked out; do you have any to suggest
other than a combination of by household and square footage?  Which
expenditures do you allocate by each category?  Is there any community that
allocates solely by square footage or solely by household?

Any insight you can give us about your experience would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Margaret Porter

Member, Finance and Legal Team