Re: intentional community inclusive of persons with disabilities
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 04:33:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 4, 2010, at 9:32 PM, ameliacobb [at] comcast.net wrote:

We want to know if there are any cohousing communities that anyone might know of that includes/integrates people with profound challenges such as these? We welcome any and all contacts or information as regarding this topic.

Many communities incorporate people with developmental, disability, and chronic dIsease issues. You just work with them -- arranging the tables in the dining room a certain way, serving or not serving certain foods, shoveling some sidewalks first, installing electric doors, monitoring cameras, offering to fill a plate, etc.

One thing I've discovered in cohousing is that many more people have disabilities of one kind or another that are not obvious unless you know them in a daily living situation. These are not as profound, certainly, but they are there and influence how people live, and plan for the future.

What doesn't work well is when someone expects daily or even weekly care on an ongoing basis. Unless neighbors have reciprocal abilities to met each other's daily needs, that probably won't happen in cohousing any more than it would happen in another kind of neighborhood. People have their own lives, and their own challenges.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC