Re: intentional community inclusive of persons with disabilities
From: Marganne Meyer (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 00:54:23 -0700 (PDT)
At 1:32 AM +0000 4/5/10, ameliacobb [at] comcast.net wrote:
At this point there are at least six or more individuals with special needs who are interested.

We want to know if there are any cohousing communities that anyone might know of that includes/integrates people with profound challenges such as these? We welcome any and all contacts or information as regarding this topic.

There is a cohousing community in Oregon that includes a disabled person. Since I'm disabled, I know one of the biggest barriers to cohousing is paying for it. Unless you are very lucky, all you have is your very minimal disability check to pay for rent or mortgage.

Another thought is to have several people agree to share a unit or have a room to rent. Then there are accommodations for any physical limitations with adds to the expense of the unit and to the common house. I've yet to see any disabled person obtain a government grant to help pay for living in cohousing. Good luck and please let us know if you find something.

mm