Re: Advice Needed: Repainting the community after 12 years in residence
From: Ellen Keyne Seebacher (ellepobox.com)
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 06:23:55 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:24:45PM -0400, Elizabeth Magill wrote:

> Mosaic had a palette of five colors to choose from, selected by our
> architect, and, SHOCKINGLY not including purple (which was the one
> color many in the community had their heart set on). Then a team put
> colors on houses based on each persons first and second choices and
> distribution throughout the community.

Actually, our architects (hi, Laura!) helped the color team choose the
palette of five colors, based on initial feedback from the community
(earth tones?  pastels?  bright colors?).  We looked at dozens of
colors Laura and Mary suggested, and chose five HardiPlank tones that
worked well together:  forest green, evening blue, "soft" (grey) green,
"countrylane" brick red, and "Harris cream" (a sunny yellow).

Then I sat up one night with a map and a list of everyone's favorite
colors and distributed them so that no immediate neighbors had the
same colors.  After a couple of swaps at a general meeting, amazingly
enough, we wound up with someone everyone could live with.  Even when
several people switched units before move-in. :-)

For a look at how Mosaic's palette works in practice, see:

  http://photos.mosaic-commons.org/units

Also, we used all five of our colors on the Common House:

  http://photos.mosaic-commons.org/common-house/

> So I was a little shocked to discover that both systems really worked
> very well, and both communities look great.

Yep!  And some of the purple fans in Mosaic got purple doors instead,
so they were happy too :-)

        Ellen Seebacher
        Mosaic Commons / Sawyer Hill Ecovillage