Re: Policy Library
From: Judith Bush (jbushtogether.net)
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 13:42:58 -0700 (PDT)
It is nice to feel the excitement build on the listserve before a conference, even if you are not crossing the country to attend! The Policy Library thread puts me in mind of the Open Source "attitude" that seems to characterize the cohousing movement. Putting things like by-laws and policies on our websites testifies to that. Now someone is offering to be even more organized about it. That's great. One question in my mind: could there be an open source attitude about house blueprints? Maybe there already is. I'm struck when I look at community websites, homes for sale, etc. at how similar in many basic ways our buildings (units, common houses) are. One of the things that drives up the costs of building and therefore the cost of homes is professional fees. Spending a lot of time and energy in the design phase can be fun, but it can also be exhausting and ultimately expensive. We want a mix of low, middle, and higher income people in our communities. But we are often unaffordable to younger families, people working intentionally in meaningful but low-paying jobs, etc. Is sharing blueprints a piece of the solution? (In writing this, I worry that I will be offending the wonderful architects who have essentially created a library of possibilities for cohousing. That's not my intention.) Anyway, perhaps the whole topic of Open Source could be a focus at a future cohousing gathering. Judith Bush, Cobb Hill, Hartland, VT