Re: Trying to get set up
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 07:44:26 -0700 (PDT)

On May 11, 2010, at 5:36 AM, Nicole Lorsong wrote:

In an effort to get our group off the ground in some way, I recently called a lawyer to go over our basic plan. He hadn't heard of cohousing before but gave me a short list of 'concerns', I guess you'd call them, and I wondered what the experienced cohousers thought of these and what advice or experiences you could share.

All of these questions are standard questions for condominiums. Questions about "dues" or condo fees which pay for upkeep of common elements and other shared expenses are covered in the bylaws. All communities go through zoning. It's part of permitting. All condominiums have liability insurance and homeowners should as well. Etc, etc. Condos can be either lot development or attached units.

All your questions make sense, but think of them in standard real estate terms and it will be easier to deal with lawyers, banks, and zoning boards. And look for a developer or cohousing project manager.

Lastly, if any one of the Maryland groups can recommend a good lawyer or any other good local contacts who might be able to help with basic set up, I'd appreciate it!

In Maryland, contact Ann Zabaldo. She may even get to you first. She's on this list but I copied her anyway. She's with the Cohousing Collaborative and Mid Atlantic Cohousing.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC