Re: washing machine info request
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 20:54:40 -0700 (PDT)

On May 12, 2010, at 5:52 PM, Eris Weaver wrote:

Frog Song is looking to replace its top-loading washing machine with a very low-water, high efficiency machine. We'd like to know what washing machines other co-housing communities use, and whether the machines have served the
community well:

Definitely get a front loader. Less water and cleans better. I have a Bosch at home and love it. Not everyone here does because they feel they break down too soon. We bought them as a group purchase before we moved in.

In the CH we have two Kenmores, a professional level, I think. Big.

I don't think they break down as much as stop working because people use too much soap. They tend to be out of order frequently -- I don't use them, I just see the email announcements. Sometimes something flicks in the wrong direction -- we put instructions in the laundry room to fix this. We have local people who fix these minor problems as soon as they have time.

About 12 households don't have washers at home but I can't remember seeing 12 different households use them. Others also use them for large items.

Ours are 8 years old so perhaps they have fixed the soap defect -- by far the biggest problem. It would be nice if there was a soap container of the right size so people couldn't use too much. 3 tablespoons just doesn't seem like enough to people.

Service from Sears seems to take a week. This probably varies from place to place.

That's all I know.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines