Re: washing machine information
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 09:01:53 -0700 (PDT)
What brand and model washing machine/s does your community use??Is the
washer durable/what's the repair record? Has it >>been easy to find reliable repair service? Did the machine come with a service contract? a warranty?

Another source for info on professional quality is laundromats and managers of large condo buildings. They usually lease but are also plugged into a pipeline. And they would know how good local service is on various models. We are finding, for example, that local service for our resident's Bosch machines is not good, making them a poor choice for larger households.

Bit of info: I had a conversation many years ago with a man who repaired machines in large buildings. He kept emergency replacements in his garage. I was asking why not buy Sears since Maytag makes their machines. He said Maytag makes them but to Sears specifications. Sears wants plastic parts.

He showed me that he could only tilt the Maytag washer forward a few inches. He could lift the Sears machine as high as his arm length would allow. "Plastic" he said.

We also bought residential washers when we moved in -- dead in less than two years as I remember.

Eastern Village leases machines. You might ask them if no one posts from there. The last I heard, about a year ago, they were perfectly happy.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC