Re: affordable housing
From: Marganne Meyer (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 14:42:00 -0700 (PDT)
At 7:29 AM -0400 5/17/10, Kathy Buck wrote:
 I was a real estate appraiser for many years and the rule in
appraising is that land appreciates, building depreciate.

Kathy - so this 'housing' bubble we've been through actually is a 'lot' bubble? I thought people who considered a home as an investment shouldn't get into a manufactured home because they depreciate so quickly. But if the land is the real value, would the lot appreciate regardless of the type/age of home on it?

Please don't misunderstand my question. I'm not being flippant here. One of the most difficult pieces of information for me to find during my housing search is a price. I'd prefer to be in a small, well-crafted, sustainable home. But I've been told that building one of these homes next to a 'regular' cohousing home would bring down the value of my neighbor's investment.