Re: affordable housing
From: melanie griffin (melgrifgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 15:05:17 -0700 (PDT)
also not to be flippant, I've been seriously impressed by the number of
people on this list  interested in tiny houses and the few opportunities to
build or buy them. Is that because towns and zoning boards prefer
mcmansions, or are the green enhancements possible with clustered housing
what tips the scales toward the townhouse/flat model? Or do people say they
are interested in small houses but when confronted with the realities of
living without 2 bathrooms change their minds? I just had a discussion with
a painter who came to give me an estimate. His family is in England, and he
lives in a room that he rents for 400/ mo and was saying how lucky I was to
have my house. Even living in a relatively cheap house, because I've been
here a long time, I was jealous. I did live in a communal house in DC about
10 years ago for less than a year and felt empowered by the relatively low
cost, the shared amenities, and the lack of stuff.

I think I'd be less worried about any kind of depreciation if I was not
feeling like my money was going to a landlord or interest payments, and that
maintenance of the house was either manageable by myself or a shared
enterprise.

I would love to hear others' experiences.