Re: washing machine information
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 06:15:49 -0700 (PDT)
Maytag front-loading washers also can get moldy seals if you close the door. Is it a generic problem for front-loaders?
  Muriel
  Shadowlake Village Cohousing

At 06:50 PM 5/21/2010, you wrote:

We now have 2 LG front loaders. My family donated ours to the common house laundry when we moved in because we wanted a water and energy saving machine. That machine is now 5 years old- almost 3 years in service as a family-with-kid-in-cloth-diapers machine and a little over 2 years as one of 2 machines in an 11 house hold cohousing. I think we had one minor repair involving the hoses, not the machine itself. We just replaced our broken Maytag with another LG. The only problem we have had is that with the higher volume of use, if people fully close the machine between uses the plastic seal gets smelly. Now that we are leaving it ajar, the mildew smell is gone. I don't know how intense our machines are used compared to other cohousings- we have two families that have their own washers and 9 who use the common ones.
Randa Johnson
New Brighton Cohousing

********